Monday, July 29, 2013

Faith, Mariachi and My Boy!

This weekend my son sang a solo for the first time in front of an audience. This was a step of faith for him. He's not usually the kid who wants to have all of the attention on him. Well...he doesn't like to be the center of attention when I'm around. Stinker!

This time he actually volunteered for the opportunity of being on a stage and singing a song in a language he does not speak!  Why? He said he knew he could do it  Philippians 4:13! Is this my kid?!

This week he attended a Mariachi Camp at a nearby university. He said that he had the time of his life. Approximately 80 students from all over in one camp learning from the best.  I instructed him to have a good time and to call me to check in every now and then. Well, I received two phone calls in five days. One was voluntarily and the other was under threat of me coming to pick him up from camp. He had a great time and he called.  I guess he followed instructions!

Can you tell which one is mine?! :)

UNT Mariachi Camp 2013
with Jose Hernandez!

The students performed at the close of camp and it was awesome. He was incredible! He is in love with music. He loves Mariachi! Yes he has Mexican heritage from his father, but I would have never guessed he'd be this in love! As he sang, I cried like a baby. I am overwhelmed by God's sovereignty, I am in awe of how God has orchestrated his life and the lives of our family.

He's 12. Can I get him to have this much passion for cleaning his room? I would pay good money for that to happen! I know. I know. It ain't happening anytime soon!

This continues to remind me that God is in complete control and He has a plan. Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 

He has plans for us! It may look nothing like our plans. It may not be in a familiar place or with familiar people. But He has a plan and it is for our good! We have to be open for the opportunity. We have to be willing to say YES.

Where is your step of faith? What are His plans for you? Could it be in an unfamiliar place? Could it be with unfamiliar people? Are you willing?

My son has no limits on the God he serves. It is mind blowing to watch. He loves what he knows about our God and is willing to admit that he doesn't know it all. But he is willing to trust in Him. He knows he can do it because he chooses not to believe he can't.


That is Faith.

Blessings!

"Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."  Hebrews 11:1


copyright www.shundriariddick.com All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment