Monday, August 5, 2013

When Life Hurts

There is so much going on these days. When I turn on the TV, log on social media or listen to the radio, I can't escape it. People are hurting!

I have the privilege to listen to people who are hurting. It's an awesome responsibility and I am grateful. Emotional pain does not discriminate. I've come to an obvious conclusion that hurt has touched us all. It's rarely welcomed.  It's often a spouse, child, parent, family member or close friend who hurt us the deepest. Sometimes it's a result of our own mistakes or the mistakes of others. Failed relationships, rejection, mistrust, disappointment, and unmet expectations are a few of the many ways in which we experience emotional pain.

Regardless of the source of our pain, many of us just want relief.  We long for that person to say or do something that will resolve our restless heart.

We want to hear "I love you" or "I forgive you." We want someone to say "It's OK. I'm here and I'm not leaving." We long for security and acceptance.  We crave hope.

I have had my share of pain. It has turned calm days into raging storms. I, too, have longed for resolve and rest. In all of my tears and heartache I have learned that my place of security can't be in people. Of course God gives us people who love and support us. They comfort and pray for us. However, at some point I will let someone down and I will be disappointed by someone. My security has to be in the Lord!

I'm not an expert by any means. But I do know that sometimes relief comes through the presence and words of someone who loves and cares.

So...Here it is.
I love you

"But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 

I forgive you.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  I John 1:9

It's OK. I'm here and I'm not leaving.

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." Deuteronomy 31:8

Security

"No in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."   Romans 8:37-39

Acceptance

"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out." John 6:37

Hope

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." I Peter 5:10

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11


This may all seem very simple. I understand that situations involve many variables that create extreme complexity. This post is not intended to minimize. Nor is it intended to disregard. It is intended to turn towards an all sufficient God who heals our pain.  It is undeniable that He is present. He cares. He listens. He answers. He is Love. He is our greatest Hope.


Blessings!

"...and after you have done everything to stand, Stand firm then,..." Ephesians 6:13b



copyright 2013 www.shundriariddick.com All rights Reserved





No comments:

Post a Comment