Sunday, March 17, 2013

I Looked At My Hands

In the life of a Mom, a simple task can turn into a life lesson. 

Today I prepared chicken for my family.  I was exhausted and overwhelmed by the endless job of being wife and mom. As I worked in the kitchen, I looked at my hands.  All of a sudden I saw Big Momma Green, my great grandmother's hands as she worked the clothes on her washboard and put them on the line in her backyard.  I saw Big Momma Black, my dad's mom. Her hands were covered in flour as she prepared dinner for us. I saw her hands on the broom as she swept her porch.  I saw Big Momma Stewart's hands, also my great grandmother, as she made tea cakes and fresh biscuits.  I remembered my Grandmother's hands as she handled the hot combs when pressing my hair.  She used those same hands as she embraced her bible and walked into the sanctuary. She proudly took her place to stand and raise her hands to usher in members to the house of the Lord.  I saw my mother's hands as she so carefully cleaned and made our house a home. I also remembered her hands as she handed me the hot teas when I was ill.  I began to cry! At that moment I remembered my strength. 

These women aren't famous. They didn't write bestsellers or have the hands that made millions.  These hands weren't perfect but their hands kept their families together.  They loved their husbands and took care of their homes. They raised their children, grandchildren and even neighborhood children.  They soothed us when we were ill and wiped countless tears. These hands clasped together to teach us to pray. When they lifted their hands on Sunday mornings, it was as if they were reaching for the hands of the Master. Without shame. Their strength.

Most importantly, as I cried I remembered the hands of my Savior. Pierced. He was the only sacrifice worthy.  Therein lays my strength.  That's how we make it through tough times. It's the strength of the hands of the One who raised Himself from the dead. It's the hands of the One who heals. It’s the hands of the One who calms the storm. It's the hands of the One in Psalm 91 who hides me in the secret place! He is my refuge! He even ordered his angels to catch me if I stumble. Their hands will keep me from falling.

So lift your HANDS. 

Exodus 9:33 Moses lifted his hands and the thunder and hail stopped, and the rain no longer poured down on the land. 
Exodus 17:11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning.
Psalm 28:2    Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place
Psalm 63:4     I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands
Psalm 141:2    May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice
Jeremiah 26:14     As for me, I am in your hands; do with me whatever you think is good and right

I heard him say as I read Luke 24:39 "Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see"

It is Him. Our strength.  So join me as I lift my hands!

Blessings!



11 comments:

  1. One word AWESOME!!!! Brings back memories....Being in Sister Green's Sunday School class. Also, learning to be a good Usher under the teaching of Sister Ella Stewart. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girlfriend - you brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful writer (and gorgeous woman) you are. Your Savior is proud ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly! Such sweet words! Thanks so much for your kindness. I miss you!

      Delete
  4. Followed Priscilla Shirer's tweet to your blog page! Glory to God! Thanks for the scripture to encourage worship! Time to go make dinner! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful reminder! May God bless the work of our hands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Shuna!...was having a some kind of morning until I ran across this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete