Sunday, March 24, 2013

This Prayer Still Works!


When I think of prayer, of course I think of communicating with the Lord. These are precious moments when He speaks to us and we are positioned to receive from Him.  It’s that ideal time of 5am when you are sitting with coffee, Bible, a great devotional and notepad. You've had a goodnight’s rest, the kitchen is clean and you have prepared for the day. You have one whole uninterrupted hour of quiet time. (I wish!)  

I’m sure some women have the amazing ability to make it their daily reality. I aspire to be like them. But as for me and my house right now, this is not my consistent experience. And I have a feeling I’m not alone. Quiet time happens in spurts of time throughout the day. It looks more like prayer while doing dishes, driving kids to school, going to work and making dinner. Scripture reading is from note cards posted on mirrors, computers, doors and dashboards in cars.  It’s not always quiet and you are not always alone.

What and how we pray varies as much as we ourselves. However, there is one time of communication that has been passed down from generation to generation. It is powerful and it’s one that Heaven hears. It caught my attention as a child. I found myself listening intently as my grandmother and mother made their request known. At that moment, I also prayed that the Lord answered! It saved me and I’m quite sure it saved you. It called on the supernatural power of God. It resulted in the granting of grace and the extending of mercy. 

I find myself praying this powerful prayer:

LORD, PLEASE DON’T LET ME HURT THIS CHILD! 

Yes I have even prayed this prayer over my own sweet children.

They will thank me one day! :)


I’m here to say that the Lord hears and He answers! It’s a prayer that covers eye rolls, backtalk and “no!” It protects after calls from schools, sibling rivalry, and lost homework. It even calms the storm when the ball (that was not supposed to be thrown in the house) breaks that favorite candle, frame or vase. It acknowledges that God is sovereign over the impulses of an exhausted parent. 

So when you pray this prayer, know that you are not alone. We have all cried it out at one time or another. Some have even prayed it several times in one day! If you have not yet made this earnest plea, keep living!  Honestly, you don’t have to have children to pray this prayer. It can be used in many situations and difficult moments in life.  Yes, even that one.

I, myself, am writing this post as a living testimony to my mother’s answered prayer! And I am grateful. Ha!


Blessings!

"To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing" - Martin Luther King, Jr.


copyright 2013 shundriariddick.com  All rights reserved.

1 comment: