Sunday, June 16, 2013

Black Fathers are Home!

Common stereotypes portray the Black father as missing. In researching statistics on fatherhood, it was common to find books and articles based on this phenomenon. Startling statistics report that 2 out of 3 African American children are born to mother only families. A book title even depicts black fathers as vanished. As I read these staggering facts, I became saddened by this reality. But as I scoured through recent studies, I found it difficult to find adequate positive research regarding African American fathers who are home.

This is not a post about those who are absent. It's to celebrate those who are present. It's not to say that they have "stepped up." These men regard their roles of being fathers as intrinsic, belonging to their essential nature. They esteem their imprint on their children and willingly embrace their responsibility. They understand that they are building purpose and Kingdom in their children as well as strengthening a society.

I begin with my own father. I am a girl who is completely in love with her Daddy! He was there everyday. He demonstrated love by loving my mother, my sister and me. He prayed for me. He taught me to change the oil, change a tire, mow the yard and use duct tape in 1,000 ways! Hearing his voice saying "Hey Baby Girl" makes me melt to this day! I love him so...
Daddy!
The righteous who walks in his integrity
blessed are his children after him!
Proverb 20:7



Chris
A father has compassion on his children so the Lord has compassion
so those who fear him.
Psalm 103:13






Because my Daddy taught me love, I chose a man who does the same. My husband works hard and loves harder. He wipes our children's tears and celebrates their victories. We are grateful for him. Our children are strong and confident because of his daily hugs, many kisses and never ending "I love you."  He prays for our children and teaches them to pray. He loves us and we love him!

I have collected the faces of very few of the many African American fathers who are answering the call. These  are men of valor and vision. They are KINGDOM MEN as described by Dr. Tony Evans in "Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream"  They are dedicated to their families and are intentional in their purpose. I wanted others to see that they do exist. They have not vanished. They are not missing. THEY ARE HOME!

They are living the blessing  in Psalm 128 and Psalm 127:3-5:

Joe
How blessed is everyone who fears the Lord,
                                                           
Eric
Who walks in His ways.

Jessie
When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands,
You will be happy and it will be well with you.

                                                     
Jonathan
Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house.

 Brendan
Your children like olive plants around your table.

Jeff
Behold, for thus shall the man be blessed, who fears the Lord.


DeLario
The Lord bless you from Zion


Larry
And may you see prosperity of Jerusalem,



Anthony
All the days of your life,


         
Aaron
Indeed, may you see your children's children


Kevin
Peace be unto Israel!
                       
                                                                                                                           
Darrell
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.


Trent
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.


Jonathon
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Kedric
They will not be put to shame
 
Randal
When they contend with
their enemies at the gate.


                                             
There is only room for a few but they represent many.  HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to the men who live beyond the world's expectations. Thank you for standing with your family regardless of misrepresentation in the media, alarming statistics, polls, and political agendas. Thank you for follwing passionately after God's own heart and living out your purpose.

THANK YOU FOR BEING HOME!


Blessings!


copyright 2013 www.shundriariddick.com All Rights Reserved. Photos for this blog only.


No comments:

Post a Comment