Sunday, June 2, 2013

Answers and Side Effects: Be Careful What You Pray!

When I was in my early twenties (in dog years that was only 2 years ago), I wanted to get married and have children. I would pray often for this wonderful blessing. I fasted. I cried out to God. I attended singles conferences just to get a head start on what I needed to posses in order to be a great wife and mother. As I sought the Lord to drop this husband and kids from the sky, I often saw images like these:

photo by godaddy.com

Don't they look happy?  Look at this family.


photo by godaddy.com


This is what I wanted! They are so perfect. These images screamed Ephesians 5. They all looked so clean. The kids are definitely well behaved.  Of course these couples are madly in love with each other and they communicate effectively. Come on now! Every perfect family has a beach vacation!

My prayer was answered. But I got THIS:

photo by allyou.com

And THIS:

messy youngest son at age 3

When I prayed, this was not included! I checked those loving images and there was no fine print.I think photos like the ones above should come with side effects and warnings!
These images may include and are not limited to side effects like fatigue, weight gain, insomnia, dishes, laundry, science projects, PTA, midnight feedings, thoughts of fleeing, chore lists, cooking, cleaning, ironing, packing, pampers, potty training, 2am stomach viruses, intense times of fellowship with spouse, puberty, tweens, tantrums, daydreaming about sleep, dance fees, football fees, library fees, lost homework, carpet stains, etc.
Unfortunately they do not. As a result, we are then left in a state of blissful unawareness that suggests we complete these images with our own delight and satisfaction.

I enjoy this life. But recently, I found myself upset about all the things I didn't have enough time to get done. As I complained and lamented about my life, I heard a voice inside say:


 "Everything you are complaining about is a direct result of answered prayer."  

(BOOM! Are you as blown away as I was?!) 

Immediately I repented! I began to thank the Lord for provision for the clothes to fold, food that needed to be cooked, kids to raise, a house to clean and a husband to share life. Regardless of our place in life, it's easy to forget as daily tasks become overwhelming, that we prayed for this!
Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live..    I Thessalonians 5:16-18 (The Message)


Blessings!



copyright 2013 www.shundriariddick.com  All rights reserved. Personal images for this blog only.





No comments:

Post a Comment