Sunday, August 2, 2015

Alone With Nothing!


I’ve been going to my local coffee shop to write. I have a place at home but there have been instances when I can't use it. Why? My children seem to need all of my attention when I’m working.  All of it! You know how it is. I can loudly call their names and not get an answer. I can search the entire house when I’m needing them to do something. BUT, when I need to get something done all by myself,  suddenly they all appear.

So today I get an opportunity to actually sit and write out my thoughts.  I’m so excited. How often do I actually get this uninterrupted time of writing?

How cool am I? I have it all together. I have everything I need. 

Coffee? Check.
Computer? Check.
Books?  Check.
Colorful pens and highliters? Check
I am ready!

Wait.
One problem. 

I have no idea about what I’m writing.
I have nothing!
I mean NOTHING!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

See this only happens to me!  The time when I have the opportunity to actually get it all out, I can't.
Not anything.

So I’m sitting here. Watching. Wondering. Praying. Waiting.
Ugh!
Then it hit me.  Alone. Nothing.
 
I thought:

"Girl! You are alone and you have nothing!"

HA-LLE-LU-JAH!
 
I put my head in my hands and exhaled. I took advantage of this mental break.

I think that we are a society of people who have made chaos our comfort zone. We crave it. We have become so accustomed to it that we don't know what to do with peace. We question it, feel bad about it, and schedule it away. All the while, we complain about being overwhelmed and tired.

Where's the place that we are so desperately trying to go? What are we doing? When did distress become preferred and quiet become uncomfortable?
Sometimes nothing is ok.
Sit still. No words. Nothing to say. Not a list to create. Not a task to complete.

Wait. Not that you don't have anything to do. You do! I definitely do! It's that you don't have to complete it at this moment.

We have so many distractions. So many things thrown at us daily. So many songs. So many words, pictures, videos, and voices. So many ideas. Plans. Tasks. Checklists.
Sometimes we need a break. A time to exhale. A time to sit and listen to what the Lord has to say to us.
I’m away in a coffee shop. My children are home with their father. No one is calling me. I’m not responding to texts. I’m not wondering about next week. I’m not creating any checklists.
After my initial panic, I actually began to appreciate my quiet.

During this I hear the Lord telling me that He is enough and that with Him comes all I need.  I can relax and enjoy. He's telling me that it’s ok to sit still.  It's ok that I don’t have something to write that will blow someone’s mind. I don’t have to write the next bestseller. I don't have to have next week's plan ready to print and execute. I don't have to have it all together. I don't have to do anything.

It's okay.
Crazy huh?
When was the last time you sat still?
When was the last time you scheduled away your peace?
 What if the Lord is waiting for you to be still so that he can speak to you?
What if in the place of silence is your answer?

Blessings!

Copyright 2015 www.shundriariddick.com All rights reserved.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment