Monday, August 12, 2013

Go Fish, Camp and Contentment!

Today we dropped my two oldest children off at camp. This is our fifth summer shuffling kids down the highway to experience what they describe as the best week of the year. The first year was tough. By the fourth day I managed to cut my hair to the wick!

2009

I missed my kiddos so much. I was going crazy and all I could do was cut my hair! Yep...I was definitely out of my mind.

Well, today was different. I didn't go crazy and I'm keeping my hair. Although I will miss them, it is nice to be down to one kid. Yes I said it. I'm glad they are GONE! (I mean gone to camp! Ha!) I know it's not what a nice mommy would say but it's the truth. I'm telling the truth and shaming the devil.  I love my babies. God knows I do. But I need some quietness!

This year our goodbyes were GOODbyes!

Poppy saying bye and making them hug/kiss each other!
Of course they resisted!

Happy Mommy 2013!
Two down One to go!

Now before you look into the eyes of that little one, let me warn you. It's not real! Well, maybe a little real. It was sinking in that he was was dropping off his brother and sister for a week. He was leaving his best friends. Yes. Poor him. And when he thought about it for a minute his response was "FINALLY!"

I am not joking! He was so happy. He's been talking non-stop since we left them about everything and absolutely nothing. It hasn't been 24 hours and he's already seen a movie and eaten his share of junk! 

WAIT!  What happened to my quietness? As I think about it, my man and I are his playmates for the week. He's going to be talking to us about all the things 6 year old talk about. I've already had a lengthy discussion about superheroes, the Spanish alphabet and chicken. I am elated to spend one on one time with this sweet boy. He is a funny kid and I cherish the time with him.

HOWEVER...

My quiet won't be so quiet. My mind keeps swirling about all the boardgames, Tic Tac Toe, and Go Fish that awaits me. It's going to be great fun the first 10 times! Yay. 

I'm already missing my campers!

Isn't that just like us?! We are rarely content with where we are and long to be at another place in our lives. When we get to our "place," we realize that where we were wasn't all that bad. Sometimes we even label them "The Good Ole Days!"

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in what." Philippians 4:11-12

Are you content where you are?

Next year all three will be left for a week of summer camp wonder! YES! My husband and I have been thinking about great ideas for our time alone! Cruise? Island Getaway? As I'm typing, he just laid his head down to bed and said "I miss the kids."  We are in trouble :)

Blessings!


copyright 2013 www.shundriariddick.com  All Rights Reserved. Images for this blog only.

No comments:

Post a Comment