Sunday, July 7, 2013

THE MIDDLE!

Sorry this is another running post. :-)  I 'm training for my fourth marathon and I'm spending a lot of time running. I promise it won't happen every week but today...hang in there!

I actually made it to my first group run this weekend. It was incredible. I was able to be with my people! It was a 6 mile run and I was a bit worried because I didn't get all my runs in during the week.  I really don't understand how the other running moms do it. I can't. Mariachi, competition cheer, and football always seem to happen during the time I'm supposed to be running. I could get up at 4am and run like my other running friends BUT that's not what I'm hearing in my inner man! (old school church) Only thing happening at 4am is my nighttime hot flashes! That's another post!

6 miles apparently is a walk in the park for my running group. They sailed right through. I, on the other hand, had forgotten how long 6 miles actually was.

Mile 3: I was questioning my decision to train again.
Mile 5: I was questioning my decision making skills and purpose in life.
Mile 6: I was trying my best to cross the finish, not pass out, and at the same time act like it was a piece of cake!

After running three marathons, I forgot about this part. I forgot about the pain of training. I didn't remember that as I ran with my group, it was my legs that I felt get tired. I forgot about the loss of toenails, blisters and injuries.

I only remembered the start and finish!

 Marathon 2009
It's such an incredible feeling to stand with thousands as I began on the day of the race. It was even more fulfilling to run across the finish line. Seeing my loved ones at the finish line waiting to embrace me and the feelings of actually running 26.2 miles were overwhelming.

But the MIDDLE...

I forgot about the running part! I actually forgot about the time between the start and finish. That's where we all are. You and I are in The Middle. It was great starting out with fellow believers and you can only imagine what it will be like to spend Eternity with the One whom you love most. But now it's your legs that you feel getting tired. It's your child who's walked away from the faith. It's your home that foreclosed. It's your marriage that's in trouble. It's your life that you feel is falling apart.

There are neither training sessions for the start of a race, nor sessions for how to cross the finish line. But the whole training group is dedicated to getting through the middle.

The Holy Spirit reminded me that the Bible (God's Word) was given to us to get us through the middle. From Genesis to Revelation, the Lord uses his word to encourage, instruct, heal, nourish, mend, and deliver while we are in the middle. We can't run a race and not get direction and instruction about the course.

He is our Guide:
"I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you."  Psalm 32:8
He is strengthening us:
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance." Romans 5:3
He knows our pain, We must accept His help:
"Now that we know what we have - Jesus, the great High Priest with ready access to God - let's not let it slip though our fingers. We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all - but without sin. So let's walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help." Hebrews 4: 14-16.
We can't stop. There is a finish!
"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him."  James 1:12
I keep trying to end this neatly. I keep writing and rewriting my close. But the Holy Spirit keeps reminding me that it's not over. He has more for us. We're still in the Middle!


Blessings!

"Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us."  Hebrews 12:1

copyright 2013 www.shundriariddick.com All Rights Reserved.








No comments:

Post a Comment