Monday, February 3, 2014

Fact, Fiction, and Feelings!

We have something to talk about.

I mean we are in desperate need to get something straight!

Being a counselor, I have the privilege of serving people.  I am humbled by this opportunity to walk with others during difficult seasons and am in awe of God's grace and love for us. I mention that because I have been serving in this capacity for 13 years and have served many people from many walks of life. I've heard many things and have seen many faces.

I have one question. 

What is going on?

We've been hoodwinked!  Bamboozled! Lied to! Deceived!

How?  Our Feelings or Emotions!

I wonder what you are feeling right now. At this moment. What are they saying to you?

Me?

I'm feeling bored, therefore, I'm hungry. Seriously.  I love food and I love to eat.  Sorry Oprah and Dr. Phil! I am an emotional eater. Food makes me happy.  Because of this, I get up at 4:30 in the morning to exercise. (There's always a price isn't it?!)

I'm asking about your feelings because we are being led by them. We are making life decisions on them. We are raising our kids with them. We are choosing our mates with them. We are choosing our wardrobes with them! YIKES!


And because of this we are CONFUSED! Why? Because feelings change.

Wait. Clarity: Emotions are not wrong. They are important, created by God, and should be used wisely. However, they have no intellect. All they do is react. They will react to a lie like they react to the truth. They react to things that are not real in the same manner as though it is reality. They are the response not the thought!  They must always be second. Not first!

Proverbs 28:26  "He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered." 

Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things and is exceedingly corrupt. Who can know it?"

When we react in emotions, we often end up saying or doing things in error and then we regret. Our feelings get stirred up and drown out God's voice and His insight.  As a result, we make commitments we shouldn't make. We quit things in which God wants us to remain involved. We are confused about our destiny and purpose. We say things that damage people and relationships.  We have emotional experiences, make decisions, and live with the life long consequences. Daily. (Can I get a witness?!)

So what now? What do we do? How do we filter our emotions?

Our feelings are based on our beliefs. What do you believe? What is your source of truth. It CANNOT be you! It must be the Word of God!

What does God's word say about it? Yes I will always go back to Him and His word. That's all I have! I can't give you my thoughts. I have issues too! I laugh, cry, want to be alone, and with everybody in 30 minute increments 1 or 2 weeks of every month!  (Forties!)

Psalm 119: 105 "You word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path."

I want to encourage you (and me) to stop submitting to your emotions. Stop depending and placing more value on how you feel rather than the Word of God. Make His word priority over your feelings. Believe what the Bible says! It is real. It is truth. It is relevant.


Blessings!




copyright 2014 www.shundriariddick.com All rights reserved.

















No comments:

Post a Comment